Home popped popcorn is an easy and nutritious snack that’s easy to make for your family. But occasionally making homemade flavored popcorn recipes provides an opportunity to experiment with flavors and colors. Read on to learn how to create a simple and delicious homemade popcorn treat your family and friends will enjoy.
Popcorn has been around for centuries but really gained popularity at the turn of the 20th century. What began as popcorn kernels popped in butter or oil has turned in to the gourmet popcorn of today. Home cooks have the ability to create homemade flavored popcorn recipes right in their own kitchens.
Popcorn of yesteryear has turned in to the gourmet popcorn of today. Why choose gourmet popcorn rather than regular popcorn? To provide a fun flavor boost. And with a variety of ways to flavor popcorn the options are limitless. Options include coating with spices, herbs, flavored olive oils, cheese and sauces. Those flavor toppings sound delicious, don’t they? They really are!
As Close to Homemade at My Popcorn Kitchen
My Popcorn Kitchen has mastered flavored popcorn recipes with gourmet flavors that you can sample and buy on the spot. It’s a great way to get a taste for what flavors you like best. You can choose from basic flavors like Buttery popcorn, sweet flavors like Banana and caramel flavors, savory cheesy flavors like Bacon Cheddar and Garlic Parmesan, and even amazing chocolate flavors. Whatever you are in the mood for, it’s available at our store and online.
Our popcorn is available in tins and bags for gift giving and your extra special events. But, what if you want to try your hand at making your own gourmet popcorn? You may have the impression that creating such deliciousness on your own would be difficult but it can be done.
It’s quite easy.
How We Make Popcorn Flavors In Our Kitchen
The same procedures and techniques that My Popcorn Kitchen uses can be mimicked at home. The store uses healthy ingredients, such as the highest quality, non-GMO ingredients, and all corn is popped in the highest quality coconut oil.
These are easily attainable for doing it yourself gourmet popcorn. The only difference between the gourmet popcorn experts and yours would be the equipment used. Let’s get into the specialized equipment used by My Popcorn Kitchen:
- The “Caramelizer” – creates caramel popcorn flavors as wells as fruit popcorn flavors.
- The “Popper” – creates all the popcorn used in our recipes plus the classic kettle corn. It also makes our specialty kettle corn with added cinnamon.
- The “Cheesemaker” – creates flavorful savory cheese popcorn flavors.
- The “Fudge Kettle” – creates delicious chocolate popcorn flavors.
This equipment is, of course, specific to making larger batches at a time because My Popcorn Kitchen caters to our wonderful walk in customers on a daily basis. We also supply popcorn for large companies, resorts and caterers. We need to supply our gourmet popcorn according to the demand. But, you will only be making the tasty treats for yourself and your family.
Simple, Homemade Flavored Popcorn Recipe
Anyone wishing to make their own popcorn can use equipment and ingredients found in their kitchen. Now, we will get into a few general instructions on how you can make your own flavored popcorn.
- Microwave – this is, as you already know, used to pop store-bought microwave popcorn.
- Stovetop – the stove can also be used to pop the kernels if you prefer. Just heat 1/3 cup popcorn seed and 2 TBSP coconut oil in a large covered skillet over medium heat until most kernels pop.
- Skillet, saucepan/roasting pan or pots – these can be used to prepare certain ingredients such as caramel and chocolate.
- Ingredients – you can choose the flavored popcorn you want and get the necessary ingredients.
The entire process is quite easy. To get you started here is a basic homemade flavored popcorn recipe, one of the many gourmet popcorn recipes that you can use. This simple recipe will teach you the easiest way to make flavored popcorn.
- 10 cups of popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 (3 oz.) package fruit flavored gelatin mix (not sugar free)
- 1 tablespoon of corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons of water
If you want to have different colors or enhance the color of the gelatin, food coloring may be added.
- First, preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Find a pan large enough to hold all the popcorn so it’s easier to work with such as a 1/2 size sheet pan, large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Pour the popped popcorn into the pan and spread it evenly. Place in oven to keep warm.
- Completely coat a heavy large saucepan (2 quart) with butter.
- Combine the gelatin, sugar, water, corn syrup and butter in the saucepan over medium heat and bring the blend to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, add a few drop of food coloring (if desired) and stir to incorporate.
- Add the baking soda and stir to incorporate.
- Immediately pour the mixture evenly over popcorn and stir to coat.
- Bake the popcorn in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove, stir and return to oven to bake another 15 minutes.
- The way you serve it is up to you. You can get as creative as you want with your presentation. A couple of suggestions: Turn popcorn out onto a large piece of foil. Let rest until cool enough to handle, then form into balls. Or let cool completely in pans and break into clusters.
- Ensure that you store your homemade flavored popcorn in a cool, dry place and in a properly sealed container.
This recipe is just a taste of the gourmet popcorn recipes that you can create and indulge in.
Final Thoughts: Homemade Flavored Popcorn Recipes
There are so many ways to enhance the flavor of popcorn. This recipe is just one way. If you have the inspiration, homemade flavored popcorn recipes can be made at home. Want more inspiration or don’t feel like making it yourself? My Popcorn Kitchen offers over 60 flavors of gourmet handmade popcorn made fresh in our kitchen. Shop our gourmet popcorn now!