Make this unique gluten-free meatloaf recipe and please a crowd. It’s also an excellent recipe for those with gluten intolerance because popcorn is naturally gluten-free. This recipe takes only seven ingredients to make. It’s so delicious, it doesn’t need a heavy, sugary glaze. Not only does the popcorn make this dish gluten-free, but you’re also adding beneficial fiber and antioxidants. Therefore, this recipe is our unique twist on classic comfort food! It goes beautifully with a steamed veggie such as broccoli, green beans or asparagus. Baked potatoes or salads are also great side dishes. Ready to get started?
Where did Meatloaf Originate
Some suggest that the precursor to our modern-day meatloaf had its origins in 5th century Europe. It was a way to stretch protein with other ingredients such as nuts, fruits, and seasonings. It was also a way to use up various scraps of ingredients such as veggies that were close to reaching the end of their shelf life.
Americans have embraced the dish with fervor. It’s become as iconic as hot dogs and burgers. It’s even gone gourmet and on the menus of fine dining establishments.
How long will it take to make the Gluten Free Meatloaf?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: Eight slices
Ingredients and equipment for making gluten-free meatloaf:
Large mixing bowl
Baking dish (or sheet pan or meatloaf pan 9″ x 5″ x 4″)
Cooking spray (recommended: Vegalene cooking spray)
2 cups popped Low Salt popcorn (flavor boost: Garlic Parmesan popcorn; Bacon Cheddar popcorn)
1 pound ground turkey or ground beef (beef flavor boost: combine 1/2 lb. ground chuck with 1/2 lb. ground sirloin)
1/2 cup Basil Pesto or Sun-dried Tomato Pesto (homemade or store-bought)
1 cup chopped sweet onion
salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: 1/2 chopped red bell pepper; 2 sliced jalapeno peppers (or use your favorite veggies sliced thin enough to bake through in 20-25 minutes)
Serving suggestions: about 15 minutes into the baking process, take out the meatloaf, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top and return to oven to bake in. Tableside – have salsas on hand.
Directions for making this best ever gluten-free meatloaf:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Grind popcorn in a food processor, set aside
- Line baking dish or sheet pan with foil (or if using a meatloaf pan, no need to line it). Spray with cooking spray. Set aside
- Crack eggs into a large serving bowl and whisk with a fork
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add Basil Pesto, onion and popcorn and stir to mix with a spatula
- Add 1/2 of the ground turkey or beef. Thoroughly combine with a spatula or by hand
- Repeat with other 1/2 of the ground turkey or beef
- If using a baking dish or sheet pan, hand form meat mixture into a rectangular 9″ x 5″ loaf or pour into meatloaf pan
- Top with sliced jalapenos and red bell pepper, pressing slightly into the meat
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- When removed from the oven, allow 10 minutes to set
- Slice and serve
Notes on preparing our gluten-free meatloaf:
- Keep beef or turkey refrigerated until ready to incorporate. It will make it more firm for hand forming the loaf
- We recommend using the Basil Pesto with ground turkey and the Tomato Pesto with ground beef
Our unique gluten-free Meatloaf recipe is simple, healthy and delicious. It’s a short time investment and an easy weeknight meal perfect for the family. Plus it freezes well and is great for brown bagging it to work. You can easily customize the ingredients to your individual taste! Write a comment and let us know your tips and tricks for customizing this meatloaf.